- Thursday 1/30/2020
- Time: 1:00 - 4:00 pm
- Course Code: 165TL
- Cost: $99
- Room Location: BCEC Room 204 B
- Credits: 3 CE Hours
A Dental Malpractice Trial Demonstration: You Be the Jury!
This mock trial presentation from an actual true-to-life suit brought by a patient against a dentist will demonstrate the various steps and processes in a dental malpractice case. Attendees will be able to experience the workings of a mock trial related to the evidence that is typically provided in a dental malpractice suit , including opening and closing statements, as well as direct and cross-examinations of the patient, dentist, and expert witnesses by actual attorneys role-playing as the plaintiff and defense attorneys and as a presiding judge.
This lively course demonstration will illustrate the importance of accurate record keeping, standard of care, applied ethics, and our professional obligation.
The audience will serve as the jury and deliberate and render a verdict following the presentation. A discussion of the case will follow.
- Understand the ethical principles and professional obligations in dentistry
- Review the meaning and application of the standard of care and legal elements of malpractice
- Highlight the judicial process for a dental malpractice case
- Recognize and apply applicable state licensure regulations in a clinical case
- Describe the importance of accurate record keeping in the dental practice
Attendees will be eligible for a 5% risk management discount on their professional liability premium with EDIC.