- Friday 1/31/2020
- Time: 2:00 - 4:00 pm
- Course Code: 489RL
- Cost: $59
- Room Location: BCEC Room 103
- Credits: 2 CE Hours
You Are What You Eat: Is Your Patient Feeding the Periodontal Pathogens?
Periodontal disease is multifactorial in nature. Medical conditions, stress, and nutrition play a critical role in how the periodontal disease will progress. This course is designed to investigate the nutrients that patients consume and how they affect the oral cavity. Patients are either feeding pathogens or promoting healing. The treatment of periodontal disease should include the role of nutrients in the elimination and prevention of oral diseases.
- Review common periodontal pathogens
- Identify the role of nutrients in the progression of periodontal disease
- Explain how certain foods promote inflammation and create oral environments where bacteria thrive
- Determine which foods are contraindicated and preferred for periodontally involved patients
- Implement proper nutritional counseling in current periodontal protocols
- Access chairside technologies to effectively remove biofilm