- Thursday 1/26/2023
- Time: 8:30 - 9:30 am
- Course Code: 163TL
- Cost: $35
- Room Location: BCEC Room 256
- Credits: 1 CE Hour
Dental Care for the LGBTQIA+ Community: Achieving Inclusive & Equitable Care
Individuals identifying as lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, intersex, agender/asexual/ally or other (LGBTQIA+) have historically struggled with access to oral health care. Progress for the LGBTQIA+ community is one of the leading civil rights issues of our time, with They being named as Merriam Webster’s 2019 Word of the Year. While public health efforts increasingly focus on reducing health disparities and increasing access to care, many areas still lack dental health equity for LGBTQIA+ individuals. It is critical to understand the language and terminology associated with the LGBTQIA+ population in order to address LGBTQIA+ health disparities, social determinants of health and access to care. The health needs of the LGBTQIA+ population are relatively the same as the general population; it is the nuanced approach, considerations and practices that differ in providing inclusive care to the underserved LGBTQIA+ community.
Please note: $35 Non Member Fee NO CHARGE for MDS Members- Registration Required.
- Explain LGBTQIA+ terminology and concepts
- Employ diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) principles in the dental setting
- Recognize health disparities in LGBTQIA+ populations and their relevance to dentistry
- Develop DEI protocols for your practice setting
- Create welcoming and inclusive spaces for LGBTQIA+ patients
- Apply best practices in serving LGBTQIA+ patients