- Thursday 1/26/2023
- Time: 9:00 am - 12:00 pm and 1:00 - 5:00 pm
- Course Code: 193TL
- Cost: $289
- Credits: 11 CE Hours
Radiology Certification: Sunday Clinic #4 10:30 am - 2:30 pm
Lecture Section at BCEC:
Thursday, January 26, 2023: 9:00 am - 12:00 pm and 1:00 - 5:00 pm.
Clinical Session at Boston University:
Sunday, January 29, 2023: 10:30 am - 2:30 pm
Boston University Henry M. Goldman School of Dental Medicine: No transportation provided
The radiographic examination plays a vital role in the diagnostic process in a dental office. Attendees will expose and evaluate the radiographs on manikins. They will also mount conventional dental x-ray film and digital images on the computer. They will be able to self-analyze and rectify radiographic technical and processing errors. The instructor will provide a review of dental occlusal, panoramic, and cephalometric radiographs. This course can be used as a review for dental assistants planning to take the Dental Assisting National Board (DANB) to become a Certified Dental Assistant (CDA), as well as for practicing dental hygienists who wish to update their skills in radiology.
Dental assistants who successfully complete this entire program will be qualified to expose radiographs in Massachusetts according to the Board of Registration in Dentistry.
- Review the principles of x-ray generation, image formation, and intraoral anatomy
- Learn to provide infection control and quality assurance
- Understand intraoral radiographic techniques
- Evaluate film processing and duplication, and digital and panoramic radiography
- Determine how to mount and analyze radiographs
- Provide radiation protection and safety
- Become familiar with ALARA guidelines and state regulations
- Take and pass a written examination
- Perform satisfactory periapical and bitewing radiographs using the paralleling technique
- Demonstrate how to mount both conventional film and digital images